Armed Forces Patients


Health services for armed forces’ families are the responsibility of ICBs (Integrated Care Board) if they are registered with an NHS GP practice, and for veterans and reservists when they are not mobilised.

Tell them you’ve served

When using NHS services veterans and reservists are encouraged to state they have served in the armed forces regardless of when they have left the military. Doing so will help their healthcare practitioner or GP to provide better support for their specific health needs.

The Armed Forces Covenant states that veterans and reservists are also given priority when needing hospital care for any conditions likely related to their service (subject to the clinical needs of all patients).

  • To register your status as a veteran, reservist or armed forces family contact your GP practice or complete the Tell them you've served form and take it to your GP practice.
  • For more information about health care for the armed forces community visit the NHS Choices website.

Mental health support for any person who has served in any rank, any time

Transitioning out of the Armed Forces can be hard. The Armed Forces Transition Service helps you manage your transition and mental health by creating a care plan with goals for your health, employment, housing and social life. This service is also available for any person who has served in the British armed forces in any rank at any time in their lives.

This might range from problems adjusting to life outside the armed forces for those who have recently left, to post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) many years later. The service is provided by Berkshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust improving access to NHS veterans mental health service