Welcome to all new students

The University of Reading Medical Practice has a long history of providing quality healthcare to students. 

We understand the challenges that students can face at all stages of their university career and impact that health issues can have. We have experience in helping you cope with any health issues that may arise during your time at university. 

Our strong links to the university help facilitate quality integrated care to help you get the most out of your time in Reading.

Visit us on Facebook

Student Registration

Registering with a local GP is important during your studies at Reading University - click here for details

ADHD Shared Care Arrangements

Shared care agreements need to be in place for a GP to prescribe medication and require both the specialist and the GP to sign. Patients with a shared care agreement in place from a different area of the UK will need a new shared care agreement with the local ADHD clinic.

If patients are seen as NHS patients by a private provider, there needs to be a shared care agreement in place before the GP can take over prescribing.

Patients who are from outside the UK will need to obtain their medication from their own specialist. If they require NHS prescriptions then this will require a referral to an NHS ADHD clinic and a shared care agreement to be in place before the GP can prescribe. 

The shared care agreement will require you to continue to be reviewed, at intervals, by your ADHD clinic. Any adjustments or changes to your ADHD medications will be made by your ADHD clinic, and not by your GP.

If you do not continue to have reviews by your ADHD clinic then the shared care agreement will no longer be valid and we will not be able to continue to prescribe ADHD medication for you.

Student Services

Medical Confirmation Form (Exceptional Circumstance)

If you need to provide medical evidence you should complete a Medical Confirmation Form (Exceptional Circumstances); this service costs £20, payable in advance. Please note, we are no longer accepting cash payments.  

To obtain this, you can:

  • Download the medical confirmation form then email for the bank details, make your payment online, complete Part A of the form and email with the completed form and a screenshot of the payment confirmation.

  • Complete part A of the form and take to Reception at the University Medical Practice along with a screenshot of the payment confirmation screen.

Students must have spoken to or seen a clinician at the practice so the information provided on the form can be verified. Your form will ready to collect from Reception at the University Medical Practice in five working days.

You are then able to submit the form to the University, please note that we are unable to submit the form on your behalf.

Counselling and Wellbeing

If you are having a tough time for any reason, don't keep it to yourself.  The Reading University Counselling and Wellbeing Service can help. The Counselling and Wellbeing team run talks on issues such as coping with stress, finding motivation and gaining confidence. The team also offers short-term counselling which is completely confidential. And, at your request and with your permission, our experts can work closely with colleagues across the university to provide coordinated support specifically for you. For more information, visit the Student Wellbeing website.

Talking Therapies in Berkshire

Problems such as anxiety, depression, stress and phobias are very common. Talking Therapies is a friendly and approachable service that helps people with these problems.  We are here to help adults aged 18 living in Berkshire and we have a team of advisors and therapists who can help you to overcome life's difficulties and problems and manage them better. 

You can refer yourself to talking therapies now, or ask your GP or healthcare Professional to refer you. 

Life Tools and Blackboard Course

Exam stress can be common this course is designed to help manage stress and prepare for your exams

Managing Stress

HPV Vaccination

For information on the HPV vaccination and eligibility, please click here

Sexual Health & Contraception

The Florey Clinic, 21A Craven Road, Reading RG1 5LE
Please see their website below for up to date information on how to access this service.

When We Are Closed

Call 111

NHS 111 is an online and telephone service for people to call if they think they need medical help right now but not in a life-threatening situation. 

The easiest way to access help and advice is online Calls to 111 are FREE from landlines and mobiles. NHS 111 is available 24/7, every day of the year. 

On dialling NHS 111 a team of fully trained advisers and experienced nurses will assess your condition and direct you to a local service that can help you best when you need it. 

There are now only three numbers to know; 999 for life-threatening emergencies, your GP surgery and 111. Out-of-hours services are generally busy so please think carefully before asking to see a doctor and only do so if you genuinely cannot wait until the surgery re-opens.


Scabies - NHS (